A leadership-focused graduate degree
Ready to take the next step?
SFA's online Master of Public Administration program combines academic expertise with “real world” experience so you can connect knowledge with practice. You’ll earn your degree through online classes and be provided with opportunities to engage in special research projects, internships and graduate assistantships.
Master of Public Administration - Online
The Master of Public Administration program prepares students for management and leadership positions both in the public sector and in nonprofit organizations.
The program is designed to meet the needs of both pre-service and in-service students seeking professional credentials by providing online classes, special research projects, internships and graduate assistantships. The program combines academic expertise with "real-world" experiences to provide you with outstanding opportunities to connect knowledge with practice.
All courses are completed online. A limited number of graduate assistantships are available.
Information on requirements for admission to the MPA program can be found in the Graduate Bulletin.
Undergraduate students interested in beginning their graduate studies early can apply for the Graduate School Overlap Program.
Graduate minor in public administration
A graduate student admitted to another program at SFA can minor in public administration. The minor can be include any PBA courses listed within the Graduate Bulletin.
See the Graduate Bulletin for additional details, guidelines and requirements.
Five-year overlap program
With careful planning, it is possible to condense the conventional six-year plan of study typically required to earn both a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree into five years. Motivated students who choose this degree plan can earn both a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science and a Master of Public Administration in five calendar years.
The Department of Government offers the following dual degrees:
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science/Master of Public Administration in political science or public administration
- Bachelor of Arts/Master of Public Administration in criminal justice
Talk to your advisor to learn more.
Additional requirements and prerequisites
- Before completing 12 graduate hours, students must file a degree plan and have it approved by the program director and department chair.
- The Master of Public Administration degree plan must specify all coursework to be completed.
- Before completing 18 graduate hours, each student must identify a faculty member who will serve as chair of the capstone committee and direct completion of the capstone project.