Skip to main content

Making Lumberjacks great students

We want every student at SFA to have a successful and rewarding college experience. At SFA, you’ll have access to student advising resources that will help you every step of the way, from freshman year to graduation.

Want to learn about careers in computer science? Wondering what minors pair well with a computer science degree? Looking for student organizations that can help you connect and network with other students and professionals in computer science? Your advisor can help.

Your advisor will help you choose a major and plan a program of study that fits your interests and career goals, and they will help you stay on track and stay motivated along the way.

Support and guidance for computer science students

Your advisor will do much more than help you choose a major and a minor. In addition to assisting as you plot your academic course, your advisor can help you with other aspects of your college career:

  • Changing your major or minor
  • Exploring potential career paths
  • Adjusting to college life
  • Getting help if you’re struggling academically

Finding your advisor

Every student in the Department of Computer Science is assigned an advisor. You can determine your assigned advisor by logging into mySFA.

Call: 936.468.2508
Visit: STEM Building

How to make an appointment

To schedule an appointment with an advisor:

  1. Log into mySFA
  2. Click on the "Advising" tab
  3. In the "My Advisor" portal, go to your assigned advisor
  4. Click on "Schedule an appointment with your advisor"

For additional assistance, please call 936.468.2508.

Advising FAQs

What kind of career can I choose as a computer science major?

The possibilities are endless with a degree in computing. Our graduates are in careers such as software developers, systems analysts, software engineers, network administrators and more. Some work for large corporations, and others have been involved in startup companies.

What is a degree plan? And when do I need to file one?

A degree plan is a personalized plan of study that outlines what classes you’ll need to take in order to graduate. Students who earn 30 or more hours must talk to their advisor and initiate the degree plan process. 

What minors should I choose to go with my major?

That depends on the degree program you choose. The computer science major doesn’t require a minor at all, and the computer information systems major has a general business minor integrated into the program. The data analytics major allows students the freedom to pursue minors in economics or statistics. The information technology major requires students to choose a second major or a minor in a field that complements their interests and career goals.

What if I want to change majors or minors?

To change your major or minor, please contact the College of Sciences and Mathematics Academic Advising and Student Services Center located in Miller Science Building, Suite 127.

What is academic suspension?

A student on academic probation will be placed on academic suspension if the student's semester GPA falls below 2.0.

What is academic probation?

A student is placed on academic probation after the first regular semester in which the cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. Students on academic probation whose semester GPA is 2.0 or higher will be allowed to continue on academic probation until the cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher. Academic probation will continue until the student achieves good standing or is placed on academic suspension.  

How – and when – do I file for graduation?

You should apply for graduation approximately eight months before you expect to finish the coursework required for your degree. Talk to your faculty advisor to learn more. 

Information on filing for graduation online can be found on the Office of the Registrar's webpage.


Department of Computer Science

Physical Address:
Cole STEM Building
Suite 312

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 13063, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962