Skip to main content

A rock-solid foundation for academic success

At SFA, we want every Lumberjack to have a successful and rewarding college experience. Whether you need help choosing a major, reviewing your degree plan or exploring potential career paths, your advisor will help you every step of the way.

Wondering what minors pair well with a geology degree? Interested in internships, field trips or student organizations? Have questions about graduation requirements? Your advisor will be there to answer questions and offer guidance, from the day you set foot on campus as a freshman to the day you graduate.

How can your advisor help?

Your advisor will do much more than help you choose a major and a minor. In addition to helping you select a major, choose courses and track your academic progress, your advisor can help you:

  • Change your major or minor
  • Explore potential career paths
  • Adjust to college life
  • Bounce back if you’re struggling academically

Faculty and staff

The academic advisor for geology students is Shana Scott.

Call: 936.468.3701
Visit: Miller Science Building, Room 301

How to make an appointment

To schedule an appointment with an advisor:

  1. Log into mySFA
  2. Click on the "Advising" tab
  3. In the "My Advisor" portal, go to your assigned advisor.
  4. Click on "Schedule an appointment with your advisor."

For additional assistance, please call 936.468.3701 or email

Advising FAQs

What kind of career can I choose as a geology major? 

Lumberjacks make great:

  • Earth science educators
  • Engineering geologists
  • Environmental geologists
  • Field geologists
  • Geochemists
  • Geophysicists
  • Hydrogeologists
  • Mud loggers
  • Petroleum geologists
  • Seismologists
  • Wellsite geologists

What is a degree plan? And when do I need to file one?

A degree plan lists the courses taken and required for the student to graduate. You’ll need to file a degree plan after you earn 45 credit hours.

What’s the difference between general geology and environmental geology?  

Coursework is slightly different depending on which track you choose. Students in the general geology option are required to take PHY 131 & 132, while students who study environmental geology have the option of substituting these courses for BIO 131 & 133. For more information, talk to your advisor.

What minors should I choose as a geology major?  

You can choose any minor. Some of the minors that we recommend for geology majors include:

  • Spatial science
  • Environmental science
  • Mathematics
  • Statistics
  • Chemistry
  • Biology
  • General business. 

What if I want to change majors or minors?  

If you’ve already filed a degree plan, you’ll need to make an appointment to talk to your advisor so you change your plan to reflect your new major or minor. If you haven’t completed a degree plan, you’ll need to update your major or minor in the system with the Advising Center.

What is academic suspension?  

A student is placed on academic suspension after a regular semester that immediately follows a semester of probation if the student’s semester GPA falls below 2.0.

What is academic probation?

A student is placed on academic probation after the first regular semester in which the GPA fails to meet the minimum standard (2.0 cumulative GPA). Probation students whose semester GPA is 2.0 or higher will be placed on extended academic probation until the cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher. Academic probation will continue until the student achieves good standing or is suspended from the university.   

How – and when – do I file for graduation?  

You’ll need to file for graduation in the Registrar’s office during the enrollment period for the semester you plan to graduate. You should receive an email reminder two semesters before you graduate.



Department of Earth Sciences and Geologic Resources

Physical Address:
Miller Science Building 
Room 301

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 13011, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962