Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership
The Doctor of Education in educational leadership is a 60-hour terminal degree offered completely online in a cohort setting by the Department of Human Services and Educational Leadership. The program offers a concentration in K-12 or higher education. The purpose of this online degree is to provide advanced preparation in educational leadership and a specific focus on the leader as a scholar-practitioner.
The educational leadership program features include:
- technology-based experiences and/or learning modules
- challenging curriculum that is relevant and current
- concentration focused on leadership in K-12 or higher education
- collegial support through cohort design
- and leadership internship in a field-based setting.
The program is specifically designed to prepare students with advanced knowledge and skills in leadership with topics such as leadership theory and practice, educational research, ethics and philosophy, and leading change in education. Professionals with this degree become innovators in their field, K-12 school leaders, college/university administrators (non-academic), educational leadership faculty members, state and federal educational policy analysts, institutional and agency researchers and curriculum specialists.
The Doctor of Education in educational leadership includes:
- 21 hours in educational leadership courses
- 12 hours in research
- 18 hour concentration in either K-12 leadership or higher education leadership
- Nine hours (minimum) of dissertation hours.
Each student must present a dissertation that demonstrates the successful design, development, implementation, completion and defense of an approved research study in educational leadership or a related area of educational study.
Make plans to view upcoming dissertation proposals and defenses or learn about past proposals and defenses.
Educational Leadership EdD Program Degree Maps
Higher Education concentration degree map
Educational leadership doctoral student handbook
Apply to the program
Admission occurs once a year with a new cohort beginning in the summer. Complete your application to the SFA Graduate School and the program application, including the informational page, résumé with three references and a written and video leadership profile, by March 1.
Learn more about the Educational Leadership EdD program
Join us for an informational session, via Zoom, to learn more about the Educational Leadership EdD program at SFA.
(Meeting ID: 899 661 8836)
Session dates and times:
- Wednesday, Oct. 12 at 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, Nov. 2 at 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 7 at 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, Jan. 18 at 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, Feb. 8 at 6 p.m.
Program Administrative Support:
Dr. Stacy Hendricks, Acting EdD Program Coordinator