Apply non-academic credit to your bachelor's degree with the BAAS
The Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences degree is unique among all other SFA degrees in that you can apply non-collegiate credit to the completion of your bachelor’s degree. This includes credits earned through community college vocational or technical programs, military training and occupational licensure or certification. Applying such credits provides a shorter route to completing a bachelor’s degree than many traditional programs.
Our BAAS degree gives you the academic foundation of a traditional degree program complemented by coursework designed to support your specific occupational or professional focus.
Transfer up to 66 hours credit from community college. In addition to these, students can apply extra-institutional credits toward the BAAS degree. Students must earn a minimum of 42 hours from SFA.
Many BAAS applicants are also eligible for SFA's Community College Transfer Scholarship Program.
Complete your BAAS degree online with professional development areas in:
- Communication Studies
- Criminal Justice
- General Business
- Human Development and Family Studies
- Organizational Leadership
- Public Administration
Additional options are available for face-to-face students.
Eligibility and documentation
Students must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher to be considered for admission to the Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences program. Students must also meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Students who have earned an associate's degree (or most of an associate's degree) that includes technical credit – such as courses in respiratory therapy, graphic arts, welding, etc. – must submit transcripts from the junior or community college attended.
- Students who have been out of school for a number of years and have developed vocational-technical competencies equivalent to a community college program must provide documentation including, but not limited to:
- A certificate of completion;
- A letter from a supervisor certifying training hours completed toward certification or licensure, and a description of training sessions with hours required to complete each;
- Documentation of training must include the date(s) the training occurred, duration of the training and a summary of the topics covered.
- Veterans or students who are currently serving in the military and have acquired specialized training as part of their service must submit military transcripts for evaluation.
How to apply
STEP 1. Apply to SFA
STEP 2. After you have been accepted to SFA, complete the FREE BAAS application.
The completed application and documentation of eligibility can be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Billy Harris, Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences Coordinator
P.O. Box 6153, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962-6153
You will be notified of your admission status to the program once your BAAS application has been reviewed.