Hands-on chemistry education
SFA’s chemistry and biochemistry programs combine the high standards demanded by the American Chemical Society and the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology with small class sizes and hands-on learning. Students utilize our high-tech labs under the guidance and mentorship of phenomenal faculty and begin research early in their academic studies.
You’ll graduate prepared for a rewarding career in a variety of settings. Want to be a chemistry teacher? You can pursue a bachelor’s degree with secondary teacher certification. Interested in becoming a professional chemist? Our degree program will put you on the path to graduate school or to a career in a laboratory setting.
Degrees and areas of study offered
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry awards two degrees:
Bachelor of Science
- Professional Chemist ACS certified
- Fermentation Science
- Secondary Education
- Pre-professional programs (dentistry, medicine, optometry, pharmacy and veterinary)
Master of Science in Natural Sciences
- Natural Sciences, with an concentration in chemistry - thesis option
- Natural Sciences, with a concentration in chemistry - non-thesis option
Five-year dual Bachelor's and Master's
- Bachelor’s in chemistry / Master’s in natural sciences with chemistry concentration
- Bachelor’s in biochemistry / Master’s in natural sciences with chemistry concentration