Skip to main content

The elements of student success

At SFA, we want our students to succeed – that’s why we offer student advising resources to guide you every step of the way, from freshman orientation to graduation. Whether you’re looking for academic support, career advice or information about tutoring, student organizations or internships, your chemistry advisors can point you in the right direction.

Your advisor will help you plan a program of study that lines up with your interests and career goals, and they’ll help you stay on track and stay motivated as you work toward your chemistry degree.

More than just degree plans

Your advisor does more than help you select a major and choose classes. Your chemistry advisor can also help you:

  • Keep track of your degree plan
  • Choose potential career paths
  • Build valuable study skills
  • Get back on track if you’re struggling academically

Faculty advisors

The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry takes success seriously. Every faculty member is also an academic advisor, which means you’ll have access to advice and guidance from professors who know you and understand your goals, challenges and interests.

How to make an appointment

You can make an appointment with your chemistry advisor by contacting the chemistry office.

Degree plans and transfer maps

Want to know more about prerequisites, coursework and degree requirements for your program? Check out a few sample chemistry and biochemistry degree plans:

Undergraduate programs:

Graduate programs:

Five-year dual degree programs

  • Contact the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry for more information.

Advising FAQs

Should I choose biochemistry or chemistry? What’s the difference?

Biochemistry combines the fundamentals of chemistry with the advanced courses in biochemistry and the life sciences, which makes it a good fit for students interested in pursuing careers in life sciences or medicine. If you’re interested in a pre-medical or another health-related pre-professional track, biochemistry is a good choice.

The chemistry curriculum offers three concentrations:

  • The professional chemist concentration is designed for students who plan to pursue careers in chemistry research or in a chemical industry. The curriculum prepares students for graduate school and includes advanced coursework in all five sub-disciplines of chemistry (analytical, biochemistry, organic, inorganic and physical).
  • The secondary education concentration is designed to prepare students for teaching careers.
  • The interdisciplinary concentration allows students the flexibility to supplement a core study of chemistry with courses in other science fields. The curriculum provides students the intellectual tools to integrate their concentration areas, engage in interdisciplinary problem-solving and prepare for careers and/or graduate programs that increasingly cross disciplinary boundaries.

How much studying do I need to do to succeed in chemistry?

A good guideline for science and math courses is that you should plan to study about two to three hours per week for each unit of credit (so, a single three-hour class would mean nine hours per week of study). If you want to be successful, you’ll need to budget your time carefully. Think of school as a full-time job and budget your time accordingly. 

Important: When it comes to studying, quality matters as much as quantity. Avoid distractions like phones, the internet, etc. It’s also important that you’re studying the correct material and concepts.

What should I do if I need extra help with my chemistry coursework?

First of all, make sure you’re putting the appropriate amount of time into your studies (see above). If you still need help, you have many resources available: You can ask your instructor for help or you can attend tutoring sessions at the library’s Academic Assistance and Resource Center. You can also watch chemistry videos on the internet, or hire a private tutor.

What is a degree plan? And when do I need to file one?

A degree plan is a personalized plan of study that outlines what classes you’ll need to take in order to graduate. Students who earn 45 or more hours must talk to their advisor and initiate the degree plan process.

What minors should I choose as a chemistry or biochemistry major?

That depends on the track you choose. Biochemistry majors are required to minor in biology. Chemistry majors who pursue the professional chemist concentration are free to choose any minor (although the combined science minor is highly recommended). Chemistry secondary education students are required to minor in secondary education. Chemistry interdisciplinary concentration students must have 25 hours of approved minor/concentration courses.

What if I want to change majors or minors?

To change your major or minor, please contact the College of Sciences and Mathematics Academic Advising and Student Services Center located in room 127 Miller Science Building.

What is academic probation?

A student is placed on academic probation after the first regular semester in which the cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. Students on academic probation whose semester GPA is 2.0 or higher will be allowed to continue on academic probation until the cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher. Academic probation will continue until the student achieves good standing or is placed on academic suspension.  

What is academic suspension?

A student on academic probation will be placed on academic suspension if the student's semester GPA falls below 2.0.

How – and when – do I file for graduation?

You should apply for graduation approximately eight months before you expect to finish the coursework required for your degree. Talk to your faculty advisor to learn more.



Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry

Physical Address:
Bush Mathematical Sciences Building
Suite 108

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 13006, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962-3006