You are invited to honor the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. through a day of community service.
This event has been rescheduled for Jan. 20.
When: Saturday, Jan. 20, 2024
Where: Baker Pattillo Student Center Grand Ballroom (second floor)
Time: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Schedule of Events
10 a.m. Check-in on the second floor of the student center
10:30 a.m. Opening welcome in the student center Grand Ballroom
11 a.m. Group photo
11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Service projects at various locations - will be assigned at check-in
2 p.m. Drive-through celebration in the circle drive in front of the Kennedy Auditorium
Register to Serve
Would you like to participate in the MLK Day of Service and volunteer your time and energy to serve our community? You can volunteer to serve by following these two simple steps:
Submit a Service Project
Do you have a project you would like to submit for the MLK Day of Service? Follow the guidelines below and submit your project.
Guidelines for Community and Campus Partners
Nacogdoches community and campus partners requesting projects must:
- Create a project that engages the SFA student volunteers for the entire duration of the project time.
- Provide any supplies necessary for the project.
- Have a representative, with full knowledge of the project and organization, present for the duration of the project.
- Provide an overview of the agency and explain the relevancy of the project to their agency and/or clients (5-10 minutes to the SFA student volunteers).
- Provide feedback via a survey regarding the MLK Day of Service (survey link will be sent out following the event).
- Contact Veronica Beavers or Ja'von Long at SFA at least 24 hours in advance of any changes to, or cancellation of, the project.
Be a Site Mentor
This year we are inviting SFA faculty, staff and Nacogdoches community members to serve as site mentors and work with the students to complete the project, while giving advice on leadership skills and educating them about the Nacogdoches community.
Site Mentors are required to:
- Complete the site mentor form.
- Contact the site manager to receive details about the project the day of.
- Guide students in order to complete the project efficiently.
- Attend the site manager meeting or coordinate with Veronica Beavers or Ja'von Long to receive project assignment and MLK Day of Service details.
- Complete the MLK site mentor survey at the completion of event (survey link will be sent out following the event).