Incredible Student Leadership & Professional Development Opportunities Available
Non-Voting Student Regent for the SFA Board of Regents
The Student Regent position is a non-voting participant on the Board of Regents representing all the students at Stephen F. Austin State University. The Student Regent serves a one-year term commencing June 1 and ending May 31. The Student Regent is appointed by the Governor and has the same powers and duties as the members of the Board of Regents, with the exception of voting, making or seconding motions, and being counted to determine a quorum.
- Must be enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student
- Must be “in good standing”, as certified by the registrar’s office
- Commit to fulfill all board-related responsibilities during the term of service
- Maintain a state-wide perspective on higher education (as opposed to representing any single college or university)
- Once appointed, the student regent/student representative must remain enrolled at the institution during the full term
- A 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale must be maintained to continue eligibility
- SFA Student Regent application which includes an essay
- Governor’s appointment application
- Résumé (2-page limit)
- Unofficial transcript
Non-Voting Student Representative to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
Section 61.0225 of the Education Code authorizes the Governor to appoint a non-voting student representative to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board for a term not to exceed one year. The position’s term begins June 1 and ends May 31. The student representative enjoys the same rights as a regularly appointed board member, except the right to vote or be counted towards a quorum for official board business. The student representative serves without compensation, however, shall be reimbursed by the Coordinating Board for expenses incurred during official board business.
For initial consideration, nominees must meet the following minimum criteria:
- be enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student in a public institution of higher education;
- be in good academic standing as determined by the institution;
- commit to fulfill all board related responsibilities during term of service, to include attendance at no less than three of the four quarterly board meetings and three of the four board committee meetings; and
- have a strong drive and self-motivation to contribute to the progress of higher education in Texas.
If appointed, the student representative must continue to meet the following criteria for the length of their term:
- maintain a GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale;
- maintain enrollment at a public institution of higher education for duration of term; and
- maintain a state-wide perspective on higher education (as opposed to representing any single college or university).
To apply for either of these positions, turn in application materials to the Student Life office by November 1. From November 1 to November 15, Student Government Association will select no more than five applicants for recommendation to the SFA president. From those applicants, the president shall select two or more applicants as the institution's recommendations for the position of student regent and shall send the applications of those applicants to the governor not later than February 1.
The governor may request to review all applications for the position of student regent received by the student government and may request an applicant to submit additional information to the governor. On June 1, or as soon thereafter as practicable, the governor shall appoint one of the applicants to serve as the student regent for the institution for a one-year term expiring on the next May 31. The governor is not required to appoint an applicant recommended by the president.
Students must complete the following State of Texas Applications:
- Non-voting Student Regent application - SFA Board of Regents
- Non-voting Student Representative application - Texas Higher Education Board
Questions regarding either opportunity may be referred to:
Student Life Department
phone: 936-468-3703 | email: email@example.com
office: Baker Pattillo Student Center, Room 3.105