The Wind Ensemble performs regularly for convention-clinics of the Texas Music Educators Association and the College Band Directors National Association. They also have performed for the National Association of Composers/USA, Texas Chapter, and the South-Central Regional Music Conference in Monroe, Louisiana.
Each year, the Wind Ensemble commissions new works from outstanding composers, and concerts often feature nationally known guest conductors and soloists.
The ensemble literature is used to demonstrate essential teaching techniques to meet the needs of the students in the music education curriculum.
The programming mission of the Wind Ensemble is five-fold:
- Perform the core repertoire for bands and winds, including chamber music.
- Perform new compositions, often premieres of works commissioned by SFA Bands.
- Perform with outstanding guest artists and our stellar faculty.
- Perform marches with respect for the history and legacy of the form and its inherent style.
- Round out programming with exemplary transcription written for bands.
The Wind Ensemble meets during the fall and spring terms. Extremely competitive auditions are held in late August for the fall term and in November for the spring term.