Become an Orientation Leader
Applications are not being accepted at this time.
More opportunities coming soon!
What is Lumberjack Orientation?
This two-day event is an on-campus program hosted at SFA where participants learn about campus life and academics as well as meet other incoming freshman students. Participants reside in residence halls and eat in campus dining facilities.
What is Transfer Lumberjack Orientation?
This one-day event is hosted virtually or in person and allows students to learn about campus resources and academics while meeting other incoming transfer students. Participants will not stay overnight, but lunch is provided during in-person sessions.
What will orientation leaders do?
Included Lumberjack Orientation activities are listed below. Each one is a chance for you as a leader to help create a welcoming environment that allows students and their families to settle comfortably into their new lives.
- An Orientation program designed for first-year students and their families will be held on the first day. Participants will learn about campus resources that will help make their SFA career successful.
- Various peer groups will help students expand their Lumberjack network. Leaders will first divide students into two large groups (Austin/Rusk) and then into various small groups based on residential living areas.
- Academic activities will connect class of 2025 students to faculty and staff in their intended colleges of study.
- Small group leaders will join Campus Recreation Department staff members to engage students in intramural games and unique team building exercises.
- Small groups will allow students to learn more about themselves and help find their place as Lumberjacks during the fall 2021 semester.
Mandatory dates and requirements
If you are unable to attend any of these dates, you will not be eligible to be an orientation leader this year. If you feel your reasoning for absence should be considered more thoroughly, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will discuss it further with you.
Applications Due: By 5 p.m. Jan. 29
Group Interviews: 10 a.m. to noon or 1 to 3 p.m. Feb. 2-4 (Applicants will select one time slot when submitting application.)
Individual Interviews: Feb. 9-11 (if selected for an individual interview after attending group interviews)
Weekly Trainings: 4:30 to 6 p.m. March 17 | March 24 | March 31 | April 7 | April 14 | April 21
Lumberjack Orientation: June 3-4 | June 10-11 | June 17-18 | July 22-23 | July 29-30
Freshman Orientation Set-up/Staff Meetings: June 2 | June 9 | June 16| July 21 | July 28
Transfer Orientation: April 30 (virtual) | May 14 (in-person) | June 25 (virtual) | July 16 (in-person) | Aug. 6 (in-person)
Work Weeks: May 18 through June 2
Orientation Leader Retreat: May 21-22