Skip to main content

Get involved in the SFA Community

Cement your connection with SFA by getting involved in one of SFA’s more than 200 registered student organizations. If we don’t have the club you’re looking for, you and a few friends can start your own! Not sure where to start? Visit the Involvement Center on the third floor of the Baker Pattillo Student Center, check out one of our involvement fairs or email to schedule a meeting with one of our SFA involvement experts. We can help you connect with a student organization that is just right for you!

Starting a new organization? Email or visit The Handle to get started!

Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I join or start a student organization?

College students who are involved within their institutions do better academically, feel a stronger connection to their school and peers, are more likely to persist to graduation, and develop key skills that make them more employable after college.

What resources are available to SFA student organizations?

The Student Organization Resource Center on the third floor of the Baker Pattillo Student Center provides the following resources from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays or by appointment:

  • Printing (no personal printing)
  • Button-making machine and supplies
  • Computer lounge
  • Paper cutter
  • Craft supplies, including butcher paper, markers, paint, etc.
  • Organization storage, including reserved lockers
  • Event supplies (if available)

Contact Student Engagement Programs at or 936.468.3703 for more information.

What is Basic Training?

Basic Training is held at the beginning of each fall semester provides an overview of the responsibilities, training and processes required of all SFA student organizations. Multiple sessions of Basic Training are offered at various times and days of the week to accommodate students’ schedules. Four officers from each organization must attend one of the fall sessions. Spring Basic Training is only required for new student organizations and newly appointed officers. Basic Training dates will be announced on The Handle. Email if you have a class conflict or other scheduling issues.

Can my organization raise money by working a concession stand at an SFA game?

As part of a registered student organization, your members have the opportunity to raise funds by working the concession stands at SFA athletic events. Email Lumberjack Eats for more information or to schedule concession-stand fundraiser.

How can my organization apply for a mini catering grant?

Mini catering grants are a way for student organizations to elevate their events with no extra cost to them. Grant applications can be found under the Forms tab on The Handle. Submissions are reviewed by a committee, and organizations can receive up to $250 if they meet the criteria. This opportunity is first come, first served. Sponsored organizations that receive funding from the university are not eligible until the end of spring semester (if there are funds remaining). To be eligible, organizations must: 

  • be recognized and in good standing with the university,
  • have not already received a mini catering grant within the academic year, 
  • have no past-due invoices with the student center, and 
  • ensure the catered event is open to all SFA students.

For questions on how to access the application, contact or 936-468-1018.

How can I start a new student organization?

The four basic requirements for starting a new organization are

  1. Find four full -time students who wish to be members;
  2. Find one full-time faculty/staff member who is willing to serve as the new organizations advisor;
  3. Create a constitution for the group (we have examples); and
  4. complete an Organization Formation Packet.

Visit The Handle for required forms and additional information.

How can my organization access Student Organization Resource Funding (SORF)?

SORF is allocated to student organizations at the start of each fall semester and re-allocated based on need each spring semester. Registered student organizations that have achieved Level 2 (non-probation) status may apply for SORF. This requires that the organization be active for at least 12 months and be registered with the Office of Student Engagement Programs each year. Any officer wishing to use these funds must complete the SORF Certification prior to checking out the credit card and making purchases. For additional information, email or call (936) 4685-3703.

Where do I access a grounds form?

Registered student organizations should visit The Handle to complete the required documentation. Off-campus groups should contact The Office of Student Engagement Programs at or (936) 468-3703 for registration information.


Office of Student Engagement

Physical Address:
222 Vista Drive
Baker Pattillo Student Center
Suite 3.101 (Third floor)

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 13021, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962