Skip to main content

Advice along the way

Are you choosing the right classes, at the right time? Are you wondering about career opportunities and how to prepare for those now? Have you started to consider a different major? Are you looking to improve your study skills as you prepare for upper-level courses? These are all discussions to have with your SFA advisor.

Ready to help

You can visit with your advisors whenever you need help making smooth transitions throughout your collegiate life.

Your advisor is here to counsel you on your major, your degree plan and a program of study that best fits your interests and career goals. But that’s definitely not all. Stop in any time you have questions on:

  • Changing your major or minor
  • Getting on track if you’re struggling academically
  • Exploring potential career paths
  • Identifying and applying for internships
  • Questions about academic policies
  • Tracking your academic progress
  • Filing for graduation

Find your advisor

Undergraduate advisors for face-to-face students

Face-to-face students in EC-6 and MLG 4-8 are advised through the College of Education Advising Center, EDU 118. Undergraduate advisors are assigned by year:

Molly Moody
McKibben, Suite 118
Phone: 936.468.2901

Early Childhood-6/Middle Level Grades (4-8) Sophomores - Seniors
Molly Hargis
McKibben, Suite 118
Phone: 936.468. 2901

Deaf and Hard of Hearing Sophomores-Seniors
Chrystine Ceja
McKibben, Suite 118
Phone: 936.468.2901

Special Education
Stephanie Strahl
McKibben, Suite 118
Phone: 936.468. 2901

Undergraduate advisors for online students

Deanna McCollum
Student Services and Advising
Phone: 936.468.2901

MLG 4-8
Diana Tannery
Student Services and Advising
Phone: 936.468.2901

Graduate advisors

Graduate students are advised by their program coordinators:

Dr. Mark Montgomery
Phone: 936.468.2904

Dr. Adam Akerson
Phone: 936.468.2904

Phone: 936.468.2904

Reading Specialist
Dr. Pamela Vaughn
Phone: 936.468.2904

Schedule an appointment with your advisor

Follow these steps to make an appointment with your academic advisor:

  1. Log in to mySFA 
  2. Click on the "Advising" tab
  3. In the "My Advisor" portal, go to your assigned advisor
  4. Click on "Schedule an appointment with your advisor"

Degree plans

Looking for information about prerequisites, coursework and degree requirements for your program? Check out the sample degree plans below: 

  • Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies
  • Bachelor of Science in deaf and hard of hearing
  • Master of Education in elementary education
  • Master of Education in early childhood
  • Master of Education in special education
  • Master of Arts in teaching

Advising FAQs

What is a degree plan? And when do I need to file one?

A degree plan summarizes what you have taken so far and what is left for you to take to complete your degree. Undergraduates must file one once after they have completed 45 hours of college credits. Graduate students must file a plan prior to completing 15 credit hours.

To start the process, visit the Advising Center.

What if I want to change majors or minors?

Changing your major or minor is easy. Just visit with the advising center of the college that houses your new major or minor.

Students on academic probation or suspension may change majors with an approval from their current and receiving deans.

What is academic probation?

A student is placed on academic probation after the first regular semester in which the cumulative grade-point average falls below 2.0. Students on academic probation whose semester grade-point average is 2.0 or higher will be allowed to continue on academic probation until the cumulative grade-point average is 2.0 or higher. Academic probation will continue until the student achieves good standing or is placed on academic suspension.

What is academic suspension?

A student on academic probation will be placed on academic suspension if the student's semester grade-point average falls below 2.0. 


A student on academic suspension may be allowed to continue in the university through any
of the following procedures:

  • Meet conditions established by the student’s dean; or 
  • Be readmitted provisionally automatically after one regular semester’s absence from the university. Following a second or subsequent academic suspension and absence from the university for two regular semesters, be readmitted automatically. Summer terms are exempt from periods of academic suspension. Automatic readmission will not occur if the student takes courses elsewhere and fails to attain a grade-point average of 2.0 for those courses; or,
  • After the first academic suspension, attend summer school at Stephen F. Austin State University and either raise the cumulative grade-point average to 2.0 or above or obtain a grade-point average of 2.0 or above for at least nine semester credit hours in courses specified by the student’s dean.

How – and when – do I file for graduation?

Contact the Office of the Registrar to learn more about how to apply for graduation.


Department of Education Studies
Faculty Directory

Janice A. Pattillo Early Childhood Research Center
Room 209

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 13017, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962