Skip to main content


Student Resources

Advisors help you stay on track

Navigating college life is an adventure in independence — but at SFA, you’ll never go it alone. We all learn and grow at our own pace, and we all need a little help from time to time. SFA advisors understand that there are times when students need to figure things out for themselves and other times when a supportive ear can turn the tides.

As an SFA student, you’ll have a dedicated advisor who’s always within reach. They’ll work with you from your first day on campus until graduation, understanding your educational goals, providing academic counseling, making sure you stay on track with your degree plan and helping you access all the important campus resources SFA offers.

Open-door guidance

You’ll meet with your advisor once a semester to talk about your courses, your progress toward your degree and your career goals. They’ll also answer your questions about your degree program and provide advice about classes.

But any time you need support, they’re always available to talk. Our open-door policy means you can visit with your advisors whenever you need help making smooth transitions throughout your collegiate life. Reach out to your advisor any time you have questions on:

  • changing your major or minor
  • substituting courses
  • struggling academically
  • building study skills
  • exploring potential career paths
  • identifying and applying for internships
  • understanding academic policies
  • tracking your academic progress
  • and filing for graduation.

Schedule a meeting with your advisor

Follow these steps to make an appointment:

  1. Log into mySFA.
  2. Click on the "Advising" tab.
  3. In the "My Advisor" portal, go to your assigned advisor.
  4. Click on "Schedule an appointment with your advisor."

Undergraduate advisors

Appointments are scheduled with an advisor based on the corresponding year/major within the Department of Human Services and Educational Leadership:

All Freshmen
Megan Kelley
McKibben Building, Room 118

Human Services
Kelly Morgan
McKibben Building, Room 118

Megan Kelley
McKibben Building, Room 118

Rehabilitation Services
Crystal Deckard
McKibben Building, Room 118

Graduate advisors

Graduate students are advised by the program faculty.

Advising FAQs

What is a degree plan? And when do I need to file one?

A degree plan summarizes what you have taken so far and what is left for you to take to complete your degree. Undergraduates must file one once after they have completed 45 hours of college credits. Graduate students must file a plan prior to completing 15 credit hours.

To start the process, visit the advising center.

What if I want to change majors or minors?

Changing your major or minor is easy. Just visit with the advising center of the college that houses your new major or minor.

Students on academic probation or suspension may change majors with an approval from their current and receiving deans.

What is academic probation?

A student is placed on academic probation after the first regular semester in which the cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0. Students on academic probation whose semester grade point average is 2.0 or higher will be allowed to continue on academic probation until the cumulative grade point average is 2.0 or higher. Academic probation will continue until the student achieves good standing or is placed on academic suspension.

What is academic suspension?

A student on academic probation will be placed on academic suspension if the student's semester grade point average falls below 2.0. 


A student on academic suspension may be allowed to continue in the university through one of the following procedures:

  • Meet conditions established by the student’s dean.
  • Be readmitted provisionally automatically after one regular semester’s absence from the university. Following a second or subsequent academic suspension and absence from the university for two regular semesters, be readmitted automatically. Summer terms are exempt from periods of academic suspension. Automatic readmission will not occur if the student takes courses elsewhere and fails to attain a grade point average of 2.0 for those courses.
  • After the first academic suspension, attend summer school at SFA and either raise the cumulative grade point average to 2.0 or above or obtain a grade point average of 2.0 or above for at least nine semester credit hours in courses specified by the student’s dean.

How – and when – do I file for graduation?

Contact the Office of the Registrar to learn more about how to apply for graduation.


Department of Human Services and Educational Leadership
Faculty Directory

Human Services Building
Suite 302

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 13019, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962