Joining a professional society, club, organization or honor society is a great way to make friends, get to know your professors, connect with professionals in the field and become a more successful student. SFA is home to more than 200 student clubs and organizations, including clubs for students interested in human sciences.
For more information about human sciences-related clubs and organizations, you can contact your faculty advisor or view SFA clubs and organizations to find the best fit for your interests.
Human sciences clubs
As a human sciences student, you’ll find clubs and organizations you can get excited about, helping you grow, cultivate new passions and prepare for a fulfilling future.
The School of Human Sciences Ambassadors
The Human Sciences Ambassadors create interest and awareness of the school’s academic programs by:
- Helping recruit prospective students through campus tours, class visits, public speaking engagements and other campus events like Showcase Saturday
- Hosting event
- Promoting networking opportunities
- Promoting leadership and professional development
- And guiding Human Sciences majors toward academic, social and professional success.
Hospitality Administration Society
Open to all students with an interest in the hospitality industry, the Hospitality Administration Society sponsors guest speakers, internship interest meetings and field trips.
Family and Consumer Sciences Student Organization
Open to all human sciences majors, the Family and Consumer Sciences Student Organization promotes the study of family and consumer sciences, advocates for families and individuals and allows to students to meet and network with professionals.
Members are invited to:
- Participate in field trips and community outreach programs
- Engage in professional development opportunities
- Attend and present at conferences
- And mentor high school students.
Student Association of Nutrition and Dietetics
The Student Association of Nutrition and Dietetics promotes food and nutrition. It is open to all SFA students, not just those majoring in nutrition and dietetics. In addition to providing a place for meaningful discussion about personal nutrition and professional dietetics, the organization also helps students connect with volunteer and networking opportunities.
Jacks Council on Family Relations
A student affiliate of the National Council on Family Relations, Jacks Council on Family Relations emphasizes both service and professionalism by helping local families and building networks. The group has adopted the Solid Foundation in Nacogdoches, providing after-school tutoring, mentoring and other activities for underserved children.
Jacks Council members also sponsor special projects throughout the year, including preparing and delivering Thanksgiving meals for selected families and supporting the activities of Relay for Life, Scare on the Square and Head Start. Jacks Council members have represented SFA at a number of professional conferences.
American Society of Interior Designers
The SFA chapter promotes awareness of interior design and is open to all SFA students with an interest in the major. The group sponsors field trips and guest speakers.
Merchandising Club is open to students who select merchandising as their major or minor. The goals and objectives of the club are to:
- Generate interest and awareness of merchandising career opportunities
- Encourage student participation in events related to the field of merchandising, including the annual Fashion Group International Dallas Career Day seminar
- And promote opportunities for networking, leadership and professional development.
Joining a professional organization enables human sciences students to network, develop new skills and become career-ready.
Hospitality administration students, you’ll want to learn more about these organizations.
Studying family and consumer sciences? Visit the following websites.
- American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- Association for Career and Technology Education
- Texas Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- Family and Consumer Sciences Teachers Association of Texas
Majoring in human development and family studies? See if these organizations are right for you.
- National Council on Family Relations
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for Research on Adolescent Development
- American Psychological Association
- American Educational Research Association
If you’re a merchandising major, you’ll want to check out these websites.
- American Association for Family and Consumer Sciences
- Texas Association for Family and Consumer Sciences
- International Textile & Apparel Association
- Costume Society of America
- Fashion Group International, Inc. of Dallas
Food nutrition and Dietetics
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- American Society for Enteral and Parenteral Nutrition
- Oregon State University Linus Pauling Institute
- National Institutes of Health
- Medline Plus Complementary and Integrative Medicine
- American Council for Construction Education
- Associated Builders and Contractors
- Construction Management Association of America
- American Institute of Constructors
- Associated General Contractors of America
- Design Build Institute of America
- National Center for Construction Education and Research
- National Association of Home Builders
Being invited to join an SFA honor society is recognition of your academic achievements and leadership qualities. Membership can help you network with professionals and excel in your career.
Eta Sigma Delta International Hospitality Management Honor Society
Eta Sigma Delta is an international honor society that recognizes the scholastic and professional achievement of students and alumni in the field of hospitality, tourism and culinary arts. Membership in Eta Sigma Delta provides an opportunity for outstanding students to distinguish themselves in the eyes of educators, recruiters and executives in this increasingly competitive industry. Faculty advisor, Dr. Mary Olle, email@example.com.
Phi Upsilon Omicron National Honor Society for Family and Consumer Sciences
Phi Upsilon Omicron, an honor society in the integrated field of family and consumer sciences, offers an environment empowering lifelong learning, leadership building and ethical and scholastic excellence.