Skip to main content

What is the Employee Assistance Program?

The University of Texas’ Employee Assistance Program is a confidential work-based program that assists and supports employees who are navigating personal or work-related issues that may impact their job performance and mental well-being. We offer counseling, assist in finding resources and can help navigate work-life problems

Is there a fee?

There is no charge to you or your family members to use EAP services. If a referral is made to a resource outside the EAP for specialized or extended services, there may be a charge or co-payment, if covered under your insurance.

Are services confidential?

EAP services are private, not a part of your employment record, and completely confidential for you and eligible family members. UTEAP will not release any information regarding your contact with the EAP without your written consent or as required by law.

Who may use EAP?

EAP is available to you, the employee, your spouse, live-in partner and eligible dependent children. This includes children up to age 26 who are eligible for coverage under your or your spouse's insurance plan.

What are the EAP counselor's qualifications?

EAP’s providers have a master’s degree/license in either mental health counseling, marriage and family therapy, licensed professional counseling or social work. We also have doctorate-level psychologists.  

What types of problems are seen through the EAP?

Generally, most common reasons for people seeking the EAP counseling are for stress, anxiety, depression, family or work concerns, change and life transitions and grief, but counseling is not limited to these.  

How do I get a counselor?

The EAP offers hundreds of counselors in Texas, all of which are credentialed with the EAP. Once a person requests counseling, our specialized staff members send out a list of counselors who meet the specifications requested. Once a counselor is selected and an appointment made, we send out the authorization forms to that counselor for the appointment.

Is EAP available after business hours?

Most of the counselors who work with the EAP have evening and some weekend availability. For urgent situations, UTEAP has staff members on-call 24/7 to assist.

What are work-life services?

Consultation and referrals for a wide range of work-life referrals are available through the EAP. We can help you find real solutions for child care, elder care, care for persons with disabilities, and other convenience and wellness issues. There are also legal services available, financial guidance and identity theft resources for employees and family members. You can speak directly with one of our experienced counselors who will take the time to fully understand your concerns and explore care options with you. After you hang up, the work-life counselor will begin researching your specific care needs, freeing you to focus on your family, work or other issues in your life. Within a few days, you'll receive a return call and a packet containing provider profiles of regulated care providers who have openings, when, where, and within the price range you specified, along with educational materials to help you and your family make informed decisions.

Does this replace the Lumberjack Education Assistance Program, or LEAP?

No, EAP should not be confused with or viewed as a replacement of LEAP, which is still available to SFA employees. 

713-500-3327 or 1 800-346-3549 — To log in, put “SFA” in both the username and password fields. 



Human Resources

Fax: 936.468.1104 

Walk-in Hours
Tuesday - Thursday, 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
1936 North Street
Austin Building
Room 201