Advertising Vacant Faculty, Staff and Student Assistant Positions
Welcome to SFA's portal for hiring managers, search committee chairs and members!
The Hiring Process
The hiring process consists of identifying the vacancy and evaluating the need, revising the job description as necessary, selecting a search committee, advertising the vacant position, reviewing and screening applicants, conducting interviews, selecting the successful candidate and finalizing the recruitment process. For a general overview of the hiring process for faculty and staff, see the Hiring Manager Toolkit.
Hiring Forms and Resources
- Departmental Checklist for Recruiting, Interviewing and Hiring (PDF)
- Applicant Screening Matrix (Excel)
- Search Summary Form (Excel)
Search Committee Training
Departments are encouraged to schedule search committee training by accessing mySFA and using the myTraining feature or contacting Human Resources. Please note that any SFA employee involved in the screening and/or interview process should be considered a search committee member. For more information, see the Accessing Search Committee Training Through myTraining PDF.
Hiring in PeopleAdmin
The Faculty/Staff Hiring Proposal should be submitted through SFA PeopleAdmin for review and approval by the hiring department. The hiring department chair or director will receive notification through SFA PeopleAdmin (system-generated email from firstname.lastname@example.org) when the proposal has been approved.
The Hiring Proposal requires the following documentation and action in SFA PeopleAdmin system. Step-by-step instructions are included below in the Quick Guide: Hiring Proposal.
See the Hiring Proposal Checklist:
1. Select the candidate to whom the offer will be made.
2. Move the candidate to the "Recommend for Hire" workflow status.
3. Fill all the required fields as noted in the hiring proposal form.
4. Upload documentation and justification that is needed for the hiring proposal.
5. After all documentation has been uploaded, the originator will select "Take Action" on the hiring proposal and submit the hiring proposal to Human Resources for review and approval. Note: Some staff proposals may require additional time for processing if the proposal contains a proposed starting salary higher than the midpoint of the salary grade. An exception salary review will need to be conducted by Human Resources as per compensation policy. Any salary above the midpoint of the salary grade requires the approval of the Human Resources director.
6. The hiring department is notified through the SFA PeopleAdmin software. The department approver (department chair or hiring manager) reviews the proposal and will need to submit the hiring proposal to "Submit for Background Check" when the offer is accepted.
7. After all approvals are complete, proceed with extending the employment offer to the candidate.
8. If the candidate accepts the offer, the hiring manager can move the hiring proposal to "Offer Accepted/Hire Finalized."
9. Disposition the remaining candidates after the hiring proposal is complete and the offer has been accepted.
Additionally, once the successful candidate has accepted the offer and passed the criminal history check, the department should submit the appropriate electronic personnel action form to set up the employee's employment and job assignment. EPAFs should be completed, electronically approved and routed to HR before the employee starts work.
For additional information about EPAF, see EPAF Resources.
Hiring Adjunct Faculty, Visiting Faculty, Graduate Assistants and Casual Employees
Because adjunct faculty, visiting faculty, graduate assistants and casual (short-term or sporadic) positions do not have to be posted, the hiring process differs slightly from what is described above. University departments should complete the following steps:
- Direct the prospective employee to the Human Resources website to complete the background check consent form. This may be submitted through email, fax, mail or hand-delivered to Human Resources.
- Complete the appropriate EPAF before the employee starts work.
- Schedule new hire(s) for Benefits Orientation. Prior to Benefits Orientation, the employee will need to complete the checklist assigned to them in TalentEd Onboard which also includes EEO, Ethics, Safety and Benefits Overview videos.
- To comply with U.S. law, SFA must verify eligibility for employment for all new employees - within three days of hire - by collecting a Form I-9 and reviewing original documents establishing the employee's eligibility to work in the U.S. Referring to the List of Acceptable Documents, employees may present one identification selection from List A or a combination of one selection from List B and one from List C. The employee will need to bring the original documentation to an authorized representative in Human Resources.
PeopleAdmin Software Quick Guides
- Troubleshooting Viewing Applicants (PDF)
- Accessing Applicants (PDF)
- PeopleAdmin Select Suite 7 Training (PDF)
- Logging In and Viewing a Job Posting (PDF)
- Creating a Job Posting (PDF)
- Approving a Job Posting (PDF)
- Adding Search Committee Members and Using Evaluative Criteria (PDF)
- Assigning Disposition Reasons and Automated Emails (PDF)
- Hiring Proposals (PDF)
- Drafting Student Job Descriptions (PDF)