Stephen F. Austin State University offers a competitive benefits package. This includes retirement benefits, insurances, wellness programs, paid leave and a variety of other services offered to employees. Benefits-eligible employees are those working at least 20 hours a week for a period of more than four and one-half months.
After a short waiting period, benefits-eligible employees may enroll in health insurance. The university pays all or a portion of health insurance premiums for benefits-eligible employees. Two plans are available for employees to choose from:
- HealthSelect of Texas
- Consumer Directed HealthSelect (High Deductible) with Health Savings Account
A variety of optional insurance and discount programs are available to benefits-eligible employees, including:
- Dental Care (two plans offered)
- Optional Term Life Insurance
- Dependent Term Life Insurance
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- TexFlex Program - Health Care and Dependent Care Flex Spending Accounts
- Choose to Quit Program for Tobacco Users
- Employee Discount Program
- Preventative Services
SFA offers several ways for employees to prepare for their retirement:
- Teacher Retirement System – SFA offers a defined benefit program through the Teacher Retirement System. All TRS-eligible employees at Texas public institutions of higher education are automatically enrolled in it on their first day of employment. SFA matches at 7.75% with an 8.0% employee contribution. An employee becomes vested in the TRS System with 5 service year credits.
- Optional Retirement Program – Employees who work in eligible positions at Texas public institutions of higher education may elect to participate in the Optional Retirement Program as an alternative to TRS. SFA matches at 6.60% with a 6.65% employee contribution. An employee becomes vested once they have 1 year and 1 day service credit.
- TSA – 403BT ax Sheltered Annuity
- 457 Texa$aver Deferred Compensation Plan
Employee Assistance Program
The Employee Assistance Program, administered by The University of Texas’ Employee Assistance Program, offers SFA employees and their loved ones access to free, confidential services on a variety of different topics. Some of these include counseling sessions with a licensed mental health professional, legal and financial resources, and work-life referrals.
All SFA employees and eligible family members have access to five free counseling sessions per issue, in addition to the other resources available online. All EAP services are private and completely confidential and available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
SFA’s EAP offers information, advice and support on a wide range of everyday issues:
|Stress and Anxiety
|Parenting and Family Concerns
|Health and Wellness
|Couples and Relationship Issues
|Change and Life Transitions
|Grief or Bereavement
|Alcohol and Drug Problems
|Work and Life Resources
Lumberjack Education Assistance Program
The Lumberjack Education Assistance Program (LEAP) provides eligible SFA employees, their spouses and their dependents with assistance in obtaining additional education through tuition exemptions and additional scholarship support.
Employee Wellness is designed to create opportunities for education and participation in programs which will improve the overall health and wellness of each employee of SFA. We strive to meet the needs of all full-time and part-time faculty, administrators, staff, and all retired faculty and staff. Employee Wellness will take place in various facilities on campus. Programs are scheduled before and after work plus during the noon hour. Full-time employees are provided release time to participate in on-campus wellness activities.
Direct Deposit of Payroll Check: Direct deposit is highly recommended.
Paid Leave of Absence: Leave available to eligible employees includes sick, vacation, compensatory time, holidays (including Spring Break, Thanksgiving and Christmas) and more!
Longevity Pay: Non-academic, full-time employees, working at least 40 hours a week in one position, are entitled to longevity pay in the amount of $20 per month for each two years of state service.
Discounted Sporting/Event Tickets: SFA provides discounted season and single game tickets to employees as well as free admission to a variety of on-campus events.
Alternate Work Schedules: SFA is committed to supporting work-life balance of its employees. We offer alternate work schedules for non-faculty employees to support the efficiency of university operations and/or to offer those employees greater flexibility in their work schedule. Alternative work schedules differ from the traditional 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. five-day work schedule.
Employee Discounts: Employees are offered a variety of discounts at various stores and businesses, both on and off campus. Discounts on campus include the SFA bookstore and on-campus food retailers.