A number of departments offer graduate assistantships. The primary goal of an assistantship is to facilitate progress toward the graduate degree by providing work experience in a profession under the supervision of a faculty or staff mentor.
Depending upon the needs of the academic unit, available funds and the qualifications of the individual graduate student, three types of graduate assistantships may be offered:
- Teaching Assistantship
- Research Assistantship
- Administrative Assistantship
Graduate assistants who are appointed at 50% FTE (20 hours/week) are part-time benefits eligible.
Additional information about graduate assistantships is available on the Graduate Admissions' Assistantship and Employment section of the Office of Research and Graduate Studies website.
To apply for a graduate assistantship, contact the appropriate department.
New Hire Checklist
Complete the following employment paperwork and return to Human Resources with proof of ID on or before your first day of work:
- Background Check - Disclosure Consent - This form must be completed once an offer has been accepted. This form allows SFA to complete a background check prior to the date of hire.
- Form W-4 - Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate This form must be completed so that SFA can withhold the correct federal income tax from your pay.
- Form I-9 (Print Version) - Employment Eligibility Verification Form This version must be printed and completed by hand.
- New Employee Datasheet - This form provides SFA with statistical data and other employee information including prior state service time.
- New Employee Work Authorization Questionnaire
- Property Liability Acknowledgement Form
- Personnel Documents Receipt Form
- Direct Deposit Authorization Form
- Banner Privacy and Security Compliance Statement
New Employee Orientation - New Employee Orientation includes a general orientation to the university (including an overview of the university's history, culture, traditions and policies), benefits orientation and enrollment, and Equal Employment Opportunity Training. Equal Employment Opportunity Training is a mandatory training for all employees on campus, including student assistants. This training must be completed within the first 30 days of employment. Employees must renew their EEO training every two years.
To schedule a New Employee Orientation, call Human Resources at 936.468.2304.