Skip to main content


Student Resources

Independent but never alone

College is a time of exploration and discovery, of increasing individuality and going your own way. At SFA, your academic advisor will help guide your growth and development, so you feel independent but never alone on your journey.

SFA advisors are passionate about helping students succeed. They’ll work with you from day one until graduation, understanding your educational goals, providing academic counseling, making sure you stay on track with your degree plan and helping you access all of the important campus resources SFA offers.

Helping you navigate college life

In addition to helping you determine your degree path and providing advice about courses, your advisor can assist with:

  • Change of majors and minors
  • Course substitutions
  • Academic appeals
  • Late add or course reinstatement requests
  • Probation, suspension and reinstatement
  • Registration holds
  • Filing for graduation

Find your advisor

The academic advisors for the School of Human Sciences are:
Megan Kelley (students with less than 30 credit hours), Sara Phillips (dietetics and nutritional sciences, food and nutrition, and hospitality administration), Crystal Deckard (merchandising, construction management and interior design) and Stephanie Strahl (family and consumer sciences, human development, and family studies).

Megan Kelley
Call: 936.468.2903
Visit: McKibben Building, Room 118

Sara Phillips
Call: 936.468.2901
Visit: McKibben Building, Room 118

Crystal Deckard
Call: 936.468.2901
Visit: McKibben Building, Room 118

Stephanie Strahl
Call: 936.468.2901
Visit: McKibben Building, Room 118

How to make an appointment

You can make an appointment with your advisor by following the steps below:

  1. Log into mySFA
  2. Click on the "Advising" tab
  3. In the "My Advisor" portal, go to your assigned advisor
  4. Click on "Schedule an appointment with your advisor"

Advising FAQs

What is a degree plan? And when do I need to file one?

A degree plan summarizes what you have taken so far and what is left for you to take to complete your degree. Undergraduates must file one once after they have completed 45 hours of college credits. Graduate students must file a plan prior to completing 15 credit hours.

To start the process, visit the advising center.

What if I want to change majors or minors?

Changing your major or minor is easy. Just visit with your academic advisor.

Students on academic probation or suspension may change majors with an approval from their current and receiving deans.

What is academic probation?

A student is placed on academic probation after the first regular semester in which the cumulative grade-point average falls below 2.0. Students on academic probation whose semester grade-point average is 2.0 or higher will be allowed to continue on academic probation until the cumulative grade-point average is 2.0 or higher. Academic probation will continue until the student achieves good standing or is placed on academic suspension.

What is academic suspension?

A student on academic probation will be placed on academic suspension if the student's semester grade-point average falls below 2.0. 


A student on academic suspension may be allowed to continue in the university through any of the following procedures:

  • Meet conditions established by the student’s dean; or,
  • e readmitted provisionally automatically after one regular semester’s absence from the university. Following a second or subsequent academic suspension and absence from the university for two regular semesters, be readmitted automatically. Summer terms are exempt from periods of academic suspension. Automatic readmission will not occur if the student takes courses elsewhere and fails to attain a grade-point average of 2.0 for those courses; or,
  • After the first academic suspension, attend summer school at Stephen F. Austin State University and either raise the cumulative grade-point average to 2.0 or above or obtain a grade-point average of 2.0 or above for at least nine semester credit hours in courses specified by the student’s dean.

How – and when – do I file for graduation?

Contact the Office of the Registrar to learn more about how to apply for graduation.


School of Human Sciences
Faculty Directory

Human Sciences Building North
Room 101

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 13014, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962