Skip to main content

Dedicated to your success

Not sure which electives to choose? Need help exploring career paths? Have questions about filing a degree plan? The Arthur Temple College of Forestry and Agriculture academic and career advising center is here to help you with every aspect of college life and to help you make the most of your time at SFA.

Your advisor also can help you:

  • strengthen your study skills
  • start your job or internship search
  • get back on track if you’re struggling with your coursework
  • track your academic progress
  • select and register for classes
  • and change your major or minor.

Finding your advisor

To find your advisor or to make an appointment, follow the steps below:

  1. Log into mySFA.
  2. Click on the "Advising" tab.
  3. In the "My Advisor" portal, go to your assigned advisor.
  4. Click on "Schedule an appointment with your advisor".

For additional assistance, call 936.468.3301.

What is a degree plan? And when do I need to file one?

A degree plan summarizes what you have taken so far and what is left for you to take to complete your degree. You must file one after you have completed 45 hours of college credits. To start the process, visit the Advising Center.

What if I want to change majors or minors?

Changing your major or minor is easy. Just visit with the advising center of the college that houses your new major or minor.

Students on academic probation or suspension may change majors with an approval from their current and receiving deans.

What is academic probation?

A student is placed on academic probation after the first regular semester in which the cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0. Students on academic probation whose semester grade point average is 2.0 or higher will be allowed to continue on academic probation until the cumulative grade point average is 2.0 or higher. Academic probation will continue until the student achieves good standing or is placed on academic suspension.

What is academic suspension?

A student on academic probation will be placed on academic suspension if the student's semester grade point average falls below 2.0.


A student on academic suspension may be allowed to continue in the university through any of the following procedures:

  • Meet conditions established by the student’s dean
  • Be readmitted provisionally automatically after one regular semester’s absence from the university. Following a second or subsequent academic suspension and absence from the university for two regular semesters, be readmitted automatically. Summer terms are exempt from periods of academic suspension. Automatic readmission will not occur if the student takes courses elsewhere and fails to attain a grade point average of 2.0 for those courses.
  • After the first academic suspension, attend summer school at SFA and either raise the cumulative grade point average to 2.0 or above or obtain a grade point average of 2.0 or above for at least 9 semester credit hours in courses specified by the student’s dean.

How, and when, do I file for graduation?

Apply online or in person at the Office of the Registrar in the Rusk Building, Room 201. 

Application dates vary depending on which semester you plan to graduate. Please refer to the list below:

  • May commencement - Applications are taken September 15 through November 15 of prior year.
  • August commencement - Applications are taken January 2 through March 2 of same year.
  • December commencement - Applications are taken April 1 through June 1 of same year.


Arthur Temple College of Forestry and Agriculture

Forestry Building
Room 103

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 6109, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962