Skip to main content

Your advisor’s door is always open

We want every Lumberjack to enjoy a successful and rewarding college experience. As a student in SFA’s Department of Anthropology, Geography and Sociology, you’ll work closely with your academic advisor from the first day you set foot on campus to the day you graduate. 

Our department has an open-door policy, which means we are available when you need us, and we’re always ready to help. Want to learn about careers in geography? Wondering what minors pair well with an anthropology degree? Want to learn more about internships or study abroad opportunities? Not sure which electives are best for your course of study? Your advisor can help.

Support, guidance and advice

Your advisor will help you choose a major and plan a program of study that fits your interests and career goals, and they will help you stay on track and motivated along the way. Your advisor also can help you:

  • change your major or minor
  • explore potential career paths 
  • answer questions about academic policies
  • adjust to college life 
  • file for graduation, and
  • get back on track if you’re struggling academically.

Faculty and staff

All anthropology, geography and sociology students are assigned to an academic advisor as soon as they choose a major. Not sure who your advisor is? Contact the department to find out.

Call: 936.468.4405
Visit: Dugas Liberal Arts North, Room 335

How to make an appointment

You can make an appointment with your advisor by calling 936.468.4405. 

You can also find your advisor and make an appointment online by following the steps below:

1. Log into mySFA 
2. Click on the "Advising" tab 
3. In the "My Advisor" portal, go to your assigned advisor 
4. Click on "Schedule an appointment with your advisor" 

Advising FAQs

What is a degree plan? And when do I need to file one? 

A degree plan summarizes what you have taken so far and what is left for you to take to complete your degree. You must file one once you have completed 45 hours of college credits. To start the process, visit the Advising Center. 

What if I want to change majors or minors?  

Changing your major or minor is easy. Just visit with the advising center of the college that houses your new major or minor. 

Students on academic probation or suspension may change majors with an approval from their current and receiving deans.

What is academic probation?  

A student is placed on academic probation after the first regular semester in which the cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0. Students on academic probation whose semester GPA is 2.0 or higher will be allowed to continue on academic probation until the cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher. Academic probation will continue until the student achieves good standing or is placed on academic suspension. 

What is academic suspension?  

A student on academic probation will be placed on academic suspension if the student's semester GPA falls below 2.0. 


A student on academic suspension may be allowed to continue in the university through any of the following procedures: 

  • meet conditions established by the student’s dean; or 
  • be automatically readmitted on a provisional basis after one regular semester’s absence from the university. Following a second or subsequent academic suspension and absence from the university for two regular semesters, be readmitted automatically. Summer terms are exempt from periods of academic suspension. Automatic readmission will not occur if the student takes courses elsewhere and fails to attain a GPA of 2.0 for those courses; or,
  • after the first academic suspension, attend summer school at SFA and either raise the cumulative GPA to 2.0 or higher or obtain a GPA of 2.0 or higher for at least nine semester credit hours in courses specified by the student’s dean.

How – and when – do I file for graduation?  

Apply in person at the Rusk Building, Room 201 (this is the preferred method for undergraduate students). You can also apply for graduation by mail/email. You’ll need to fill out the graduation application.

Application dates vary depending on the semester you plan to graduate. Please refer to the list below: 

  • May commencement – Applications are taken Sept. 15 through Nov. 15 of prior year. 
  • August commencement – Applications are taken Jan. 2 through March 2 of same year. 
  • December commencement – Applications are taken April 1 through June 1 of same year.


Department of Anthropology, Geography and Sociology

Dugas Liberal Arts North 
Room 335

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 13047, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962