Skip to main content

Support, guidance and more

Considering a career in politics or law enforcement? Wondering which majors will prepare you for law school? Want to know more about SFA’s Pre-Law Club or Moot Court Team? Need a few leads on internships? Your advisor can help you with questions like this and ensure that you make the most of your time at SFA.

As a student in SFA’s Department of Government, you’ll work with dedicated faculty advisors who will guide and support you throughout your college career. Your advisor will help you choose a degree plan that lines up with your interests and career goals and work with you to track your academic progress and stay motivated.

A path to success

There’s more to advising than simply registering for classes or creating a degree plan. Your academic advisor also can help you

  • choose (or change) your major or minor
  • adjust to college life
  • get involved in student organizations
  • get back on track if you’re struggling academically, and
  • learn more about potential career paths or graduate programs.

How to make an appointment

To schedule an appointment with an advisor: 

  1. Log into mySFA 
  2. Click on the "Advising" tab
  3. In the "My Advisor" portal, go to your assigned advisor
  4. Click on "Schedule an appointment with your advisor"

For additional assistance, please call 936.468.3902. 

Degree plans and transfer maps

Want to know more about prerequisites, coursework and degree requirements for your program? Check out a few government degree plans:

Undergraduate degrees


Graduate degrees:

Advising FAQs

What if I want to change majors or minors?  

Changing your major or minor is easy. Just visit with the advising center of the college that houses your new major or minor. 

Students on academic probation or suspension may change majors with an approval from their current and receiving deans.

What is academic probation?

A student is placed on academic probation after the first regular semester in which the cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0. Students on academic probation whose semester GPA is 2.0 or higher will be allowed to continue on academic probation until the cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher. Academic probation will continue until the student achieves good standing or is placed on academic suspension. 

What is academic suspension?  

A student on academic probation will be placed on academic suspension if the student's semester GPA falls below 2.0. 


A student on academic suspension may be allowed to continue at the university through any of the following procedures

  • meet conditions established by the student’s dean; or 
  • be automatically readmitted on a provisional basis after one regular semester’s absence from the university. Following a second or subsequent academic suspension and absence from the university for two regular semesters, be readmitted automatically. Summer terms are exempt from periods of academic suspension. Automatic readmission will not occur if the student takes courses elsewhere and fails to attain a GPA of 2.0 for those courses; or,
  • after the first academic suspension, attend summer school at SFA and either raise the cumulative GPA to 2.0 or higher or obtain a GPA of 2.0 or higher for at least nine semester credit hours in courses specified by the student’s dean.


Department of Government

Dugas Liberal Arts North
Room 124

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 13045, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962