Skip to main content

Helping you succeed, every step of the way

Wondering what minors pair well with a history major? Want to know how to become a history teacher? Not sure which electives you should take next semester? Need information about your degree plan? 

Your advisor can help.

As a history student at SFA, you’ll work with caring, dedicated advisors who will guide and support you as you work toward your degree. Your advisor will help you map out a degree plan that lines up with your interests and career goals and answer any questions you might have about your program of study. 

Academic guidance and more

Your advisor will do much more than help you register for classes. In addition to helping you complete your degree plan, your advisor can help you:

  • change your major or minor;
  • explore potential career paths and graduate school;
  • adjust to college life;
  • learn more about internships and research opportunities; and
  • get help if you’re struggling academically. 

Faculty and staff

A professional advisor from the College of Liberal and Applied Arts advises all students – including history majors – during their first two or three semesters. Once history majors have earned 45 credit hours, our full-time history faculty members serve as academic advisors. Students are assigned to a faculty advisor or can request a specific faculty advisor.

Not sure who your advisor is? You can contact the history department to find out.

Call: 936.468.3802

Visit: Dugas Liberal Arts North, Room 303

How to make an appointment

To schedule an appointment with an advisor: 

  1. Log into mySFA.
  2. Click on the "Advising" tab.
  3. In the "My Advisor" portal, go to your assigned advisor.
  4. Click on "Schedule an appointment with your advisor."

Degree plans

Want to know more about prerequisites, coursework and degree requirements for your program? Check out some sample degree plans:

Advising FAQs

What kind of career can I choose as a history major?  

History graduates work in a wide variety of careers. The skills you’ll acquire as a history student are both in demand and transportable. Our graduates work in fields such as education, law, international business, politics, nonprofit management, corporate training and natural resource management, as well as museums, archives, historical societies and associations.

How do I become a history teacher?  

Most students who plan to be history teachers choose the history education track, which consists of 34 hours of coursework designed to prepare teachers at the seventh through 12th grade levels. The track requires a minor in secondary education that includes internship and student-teaching semesters. 

Students who don’t choose the history education track complete alternative teacher certification programs. Your advisor can help you decide which of the many options available are right for you.

What is a degree plan? And when do I need to file one? 

A degree plan is simply that: a plan. And, as we all know, plans can change. We keep plans of study on file for all majors, and we update them each semester. You and your advisor will work together to make sure that your degree plan aligns with your specific goals. When you’re within a semester of graduation, history department administrators will work with you to process all necessary paperwork.

What minor should I choose as a history major?  

History majors can select a minor from any department at SFA. 

What if I want to change my major or minor?  

Changing your major or minor is easy. Just visit with the advising center of the college that houses your new major or minor. 

Students on academic probation or suspension may change majors with an approval from their current and receiving deans.

What is academic probation?  

A student is placed on academic probation after the first regular semester in which the cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0. Students on academic probation whose semester GPA is 2.0 or higher will be allowed to continue on academic probation until the cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher. Academic probation will continue until the student achieves good standing or is placed on academic suspension. 

What is academic suspension?  

A student on academic probation will be placed on academic suspension if the student's semester GPA falls below 2.0. 


A student on academic suspension may be allowed to continue in the university through any of the following procedures: 

  • meet conditions established by the student’s dean; or 
  • be automatically readmitted on a provisional basis after one regular semester’s absence from the university. Following a second or subsequent academic suspension and absence from the university for two regular semesters, be readmitted automatically. Summer terms are exempt from periods of academic suspension. Automatic readmission will not occur if the student takes courses elsewhere and fails to attain a GPA of 2.0 for those courses; or,
  • after the first academic suspension, attend summer school at SFA and either raise the cumulative GPA to 2.0 or higher or obtain a GPA of 2.0 or higher for at least nine semester credit hours in courses specified by the student’s dean.

How – and when – do I file for graduation?  

Contact the Office of the Registrar to learn more about how to apply for graduation. 


Department of History

Dugas Liberal Arts North 
Room 303

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 13013, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962