Skip to main content

Preparing Lumberjacks for greatness

As a mass communication student at SFA, you’ll work with caring, dedicated faculty advisors who will guide and support you as you work toward your degree. Your advisor will help you craft a degree plan that lines up with your interests and career goals, help you choose courses and help you keep track of your academic progress.

Are you wondering what minors pair well with a mass communication major? Do you want to know how to work toward a career in social media? Are you interested in getting involved with the Pine Log or JackTV? Your advisor can answer all of your questions and ensure that you make the most of your time at SFA.

Support, guidance and more

Your academic advisor will do much more than help you register for classes. You can also talk to your advisor if you want to:

  • Change your major or minor
  • Explore career paths
  • Get help adjusting to college life
  • Find out more about internships or student-run publications

Faculty and staff

Your academic advisor is your primary department professor. Not sure who your advisor is? Call the Department of Mass Communication at 936.468.4001, or stop by Room 301 in the Boynton Building and ask.

How to make an appointment

You can make an appointment with your advisor by calling the Department of Mass Communication at 936.468.4001, or you can email, call or drop by your advisor’s office to schedule a meeting.

Remember, advising is mandatory every semester, and you’ll be unable to enroll in classes until you speak with your advisor. Don’t wait until the last minute!

Degree plans and transfer maps

Want to know more about prerequisites, coursework and degree requirements for your program? Check out sample degree plans:

Advising FAQs


What if I want to change my major or minor?

Changing your major or minor is easy. Just visit with the advising center of the college that houses your new major or minor.

Students on academic probation or suspension may change majors with an approval from their current and receiving deans.

What is academic probation? 

A student is placed on academic probation after the first regular semester in which the cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0. Students on academic probation whose semester GPA is 2.0 or higher will be allowed to continue on academic probation until the cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher.

Academic probation will continue until the student achieves good standing or is placed on academic suspension.

What is academic suspension? 

A student on academic probation will be placed on academic suspension if the student's semester GPA falls below 2.0.

A student on academic suspension may be allowed to continue in the university through any of the following procedures:

  • meet conditions established by the student’s dean; or
  • be automatically readmitted on a provisional basis after one regular semester’s absence from the university. Following a second or subsequent academic suspension and absence from the university for two regular semesters, be readmitted automatically. Summer terms are exempt from periods of academic suspension. Automatic readmission will not occur if the student takes courses elsewhere and fails to attain a GPA of 2.0 for those courses; or,
  • after the first academic suspension, attend summer school at SFA and either raise the cumulative GPA to 2.0 or higher or obtain a GPA of 2.0 or higher for at least nine semester credit hours in courses specified by the student’s dean.


Department of Mass Communication

Boynton Building 
Room 301

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 13048, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962-3048