Skip to main content

Helping social work students succeed

The School of Social Work places a high value on student success, and we want every student in our program to have access to the support and guidance they need to complete their degrees. As a social work student at SFA, you’ll work with a caring, dedicated faculty advisor every step of the way.

Support and guidance for social work students

In addition to helping you plot your academic course, your advisor can help you :

  • select courses and electives
  • add or drop classes
  • adjust to college life
  • and get help if you’re struggling academically.

Faculty and staff

As a social work student at SFA, you’ll be assigned to a full-time faculty member from the School of Social Work who will act as your advisor and work with you through your entire college career.

How to make an appointment

In addition to maintaining regularly scheduled office hours, our faculty advisors are often available by appointment. To schedule an appointment with your advisor:

  1. Log into mySFA
  2. Click on the "Advising" tab
  3. In the "My Advisor" portal, go to your assigned advisor
  4. Click on "Schedule an appointment with your advisor"

For additional assistance, call 936.468.5105.

Degree plans and transfer maps

Want to know more about prerequisites, coursework and degree requirements for your social work degree? Check out the sample degree plans below:

Advising FAQs

What kind of career can I choose as a social work major?

With a degree in social work, you can find a rewarding career in child welfare, mental health services, services to the elderly, hospice and hospitals, schools, child and adult protective services, inpatient health and home health care, rural outreach services, family counseling, youth services, probation and parole, domestic violence services, foster care and adoption, public welfare, residential treatment care and more.

What is a degree plan? And when do I need to file one?

A degree plan is a personalized plan of study that outlines what classes you’ll need to take in order to graduate. You can talk to your advisor about how to initiate the degree plan process.

What minors should I choose as a social work major?

Students majoring in social work are not required to have a minor, but they can choose a field of study that supports their career interest. Students are encouraged to discuss their academic and career plans with their assigned advisor.

Will my advisor help me find an internship?

Although your academic advisor is always available to discuss general internship options, they will typically refer you to the Director of Field Education to discuss more specific internship possibilities.

What if I want to change majors or minors?

Changing your major or minor is easy. Just visit with the advising center of the college that houses your new major or minor.

Students on academic probation or suspension may change majors with an approval from their current and receiving deans.

What is academic probation?

A student is placed on academic probation after the first regular semester in which the cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0. Students on academic probation whose semester GPA is 2.0 or higher will be allowed to continue on academic probation until the cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher. Academic probation will continue until the student achieves good standing or is placed on academic suspension.

What is academic suspension?

A student on academic probation will be placed on academic suspension if the student's semester GPA falls below 2.0.


A student on academic suspension may be allowed to continue in the university through any of the following procedures:

  • meet conditions established by the student’s dean; or
  • be automatically readmitted on a provisional basis after one regular semester’s absence from the university. Following a second or subsequent academic suspension and absence from the university for two regular semesters, be readmitted automatically. Summer terms are exempt from periods of academic suspension. Automatic readmission will not occur if the student takes courses elsewhere and fails to attain a GPA of 2.0 for those courses; or,
  • after the first academic suspension, attend summer school at SFA and either raise the cumulative GPA to 2.0 or higher or obtain a GPA of 2.0 or higher for at least nine semester credit hours in courses specified by the student’s dean.

How – and when – do I file for graduation?

You should apply for graduation approximately eight months before you expect to finish the coursework required for your degree. Talk to your faculty advisor to learn more.



School of Social Work

420 E. Starr Avenue

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 6104, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962